How To Detox Your Skin (& why it's a good idea)
We might all feel the need to detox our bodies at some point in our life. In fact, I daresay a fair few of us are feeling that need right now. Perhaps we over-indulged over Christmas and New Year and are now feeling a little less-than-fabulous.
And that’s ok. There’s nothing wrong with indulging ourselves every now and again.
But did you know that your skin needs to detox, as well?
Your skin is your body’s largest organ, and it is constantly in contact with the elements. Pollutants and dirt from the environment can clog your pores, and toxins from your diet and lifestyle can cause your skin to suffer.
Your skin has an important role to play. Many, in fact. Here are just a few…
- it protects your internal body and organs
- it is waterproof
- it helps to regulate your body temperature
- it gathers important information from your environment and relays it to your brain
- it aids the removal of toxins from your body, through sweat
- it produces its own oil to keep itself healthy and supple
So, if our skin can do all of this amazing stuff, why do we get skin problems like acne, eczema, psoriasis, and the like?
To answer that question, we have to look deeper; we have to look at our internal physical body (our internal organs), as well as our emotional and spiritual body.
Our skin gets into trouble when our bodies can’t cope with what we’re doing to them. You see, a skin complaint such as acne is often caused by an overload of toxins within our body.
These could be physical toxins which we ingest through food, inhale through cigarette, factory and traffic fumes, or apply to our body through the skincare products, make-up and toiletries we use. Or they can be emotional toxins from abusive relationships, negative energy, stress, etc.
As our bodies fight to get a handle on this toxic build-up, our digestive and detoxification systems get overloaded and can’t function at their optimum. At this point, your body calls on your skin to pick-up the slack, and so your skin helps to remove some of the toxins by pushing them out through your pores. And this is when we experience acne and other skin problems.
How to detox your skin
Here is a quick guide to detoxing your skin…
- Clean it – cleanse your skin each evening
- Skin-brush – help your skin function at its best
- Enjoy a detox bath – simple but effective
- Exfoliate – a build-up of dead skin cells will hinder your skin’s function
- Use natural skincare products – applying chemicals to your skin will add to toxic build-up
- Reduce your intake of junk and processed foods
- Reduce your intake of dairy, wheat and processed sugar
- Eat your greens – stock-up on skin-loving antioxidants
- Eat healthy fats – found in oily fish, nuts and seeds, avocados, and more
- Cook with herbs and spices – the original superfoods
- Drink herbal teas – there are lots of pre-blended varieties available, or you could create your own
- Drink plenty of water – add a few slices of lemon for extra benefit
Put more simply... find natural botanical skincare products that work for you and your skin, use them daily, treat your skin and body with care and attention... and you'll go a long way to reducing your need to detox at all.